Aubergine, Halloumi and Green Sauce Sandwich
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
1 small aubergine, cut into thin slices
250g halloumi, sliced thickly
Small handful each mint, parsley and basil, finely chopped
Capers, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed or finely grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 ciabatta buns
Watercress or rocket
Neutral oil, for cooking the aubergine
SHARE THIS RECIPE
This sandwich has it all: salty halloumi, richness from the aubergines and a fresh piquancy from the herbal green sauce. A super satisfying sandwich for a gloriously sunny day! Warning: this is a two-napkin job…
1. Combine the herbs, capers, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
2. Heat two gas burners on the Jupiter Outback BBQ and set the heat to medium-high.
3. Brush the aubergine slices with neutral oil and season lightly with salt. Grill for 2-3 minutes each side, or until soft and a little charred in places.
4. Cook the halloumi slices at the same time, until golden on both sides.
5. Split the ciabatta buns and toast them lightly on the BBQ.
6. Layer the buns with watercress or rocket, aubergine slices and halloumi, followed by the green sauce. Top with the remaining bun slices and serve.
About the recipe author
Helen Graves The Author
Helen Graves is an award-winning recipe, food and travel writer with a particular interest in barbecue. She writes freelance for many major food and drink publications and is editor of Pit, the UK's first independent magazine about live-fire cooking. Helen has created a series of exclusive recipes for Outback that focus on maximising flavour for the home cook using lots of spices, fresh herbs and BBQ techniques.