Black Pudding Burger with Mustard-Mayo Slaw
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 8 minutes
250g minced beef
2 thick slices black pudding
1 medium carrot, cut into fine strips or grated
1 small red onion, finely sliced
¼ small white cabbage, finely sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon American style mustard
2 cheese slices
2 brioche buns
Sliced pickles, to serve
Shredded iceberg lettuce, to serve
SHARE THIS RECIPE
This burger gets an extra hit of richness from a breakfast favourite: black pudding! The mustard coleslaw brings freshness and the pickles add essential acidity. Serve any leftover coleslaw alongside.
1. Combine the carrot, red onion, white cabbage, mustard, mayonnaise, lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
2. Season the beef mince with salt and shape into 2 burger patties, pressing down in the centre of each lightly (this helps the burgers keep their shape when cooking). Set aside.
3. Light two gas burners on the Jupiter Outback BBQ and set the heat to medium-high. When it’s hot, add the burgers and cook for a few minutes each side, or until they’ve built up a good colour and the interior is cooked to your liking.
4. At the same time, add the black pudding slices and cook until crisp on the outside and hot through.
5. Melt the cheese slices on top of the burgers and lightly toast the buns on the BBQ - watch them carefully as this will happen quickly.
6. Assemble the burgers by layering lettuce, coleslaw, burger and pickles, and topping with the bun lids.
About the recipe author
Helen Graves The Author
Helen Graves is an award-winning recipe, food and travel writer with a particular interest in barbecue. She writes freelance for many major food and drink publications and is editor of Pit, the UK's first independent magazine about live-fire cooking. Helen has created a series of exclusive recipes for Outback that focus on maximising flavour for the home cook using lots of spices, fresh herbs and BBQ techniques.