Classic BBQ Rubbed Rotisserie Chicken
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
1 x 2.3 - 2.5kg chicken
For the spice rub
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
SHARE THIS RECIPE
It’s so easy to make your own spice rub at home, and you can swap ingredients according to what you have in the cupboard. That said, don’t hesitate to use this method combined with your favourite shop-bought rub! The chicken is perfect with coleslaw, cornbread and sweet pickled gherkins.
1. Combine all the rub ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
2. Rub the spice mix evenly all over the chicken, inside and out.
3. Turn on the centre two burners of the Outback Jupiter BBQ, and adjust to a low flame.
4. Skewer the chicken on the rotisserie attachment, place it over the heat and turn on the motor. If the chicken rubs against the grill, remove the centre section. Close the lid and allow to cook, checking occasionally, for around 2 hours, or until cooked through (an instant-read thermometer should register 74C).
5. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the rotisserie and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
About the recipe author
Helen Graves The Author
Helen Graves is an award-winning recipe, food and travel writer with a particular interest in barbecue. She writes freelance for many major food and drink publications and is editor of Pit, the UK's first independent magazine about live-fire cooking. Helen has created a series of exclusive recipes for Outback that focus on maximising flavour for the home cook using lots of spices, fresh herbs and BBQ techniques.