Easy Spiced Lamb Kebabs
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
500g minced lamb
1 tablespoon ground cumin (or cumin seeds)
2 teaspoons ground coriander (or coriander seeds)
2 teaspoons chilli flakes, or to taste
3 tablespoons coriander stalks, finely chopped (save the tops for serving)
Flatbreads or pitta
Natural yoghurt, seasoned with a pinch of salt
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Minced lamb is a great choice for the barbecue because it’s full of flavour, is simple to cook, and you can mix up the spices according to what you have in the cupboard. Serve the kebabs with flatbreads, pitta or even inside burger buns - just shape them into flatter patties so they fit the buns properly.
Toasting then freshly grinding the coriander and cumin seeds will make a huge difference here, but ready-ground will also work just fine.
1. If using whole coriander and cumin seeds, lightly toast them in a dry frying pan until fragrant, then grind or crush to a powder.
2. In a large bowl, mix the minced lamb, spices, coriander stalks and some salt. If you have time, use your hands to massage the meat, almost as if you are kneading bread, for a few minutes or until the meat takes on a sticky, tacky appearance - this will ensure the correct texture and stop the kebabs from falling apart.
3. Shape the mixture into 8 log-shaped kebabs and set aside.
4. Light the Jupiter Outback gas burners and turn the heat to medium.
5. Cook the kebabs for approx 10 minutes turning regularly. If flames start to flare up, move the kebabs to the centre of the barbecue where they can continue cooking slowly.
6. Serve the kebabs with the flatbreads, yoghurt, salad and herbs.
About the recipe author
Helen Graves The Author
Helen Graves is an award-winning recipe, food and travel writer with a particular interest in barbecue. She writes freelance for many major food and drink publications and is editor of Pit, the UK's first independent magazine about live-fire cooking. Helen has created a series of exclusive recipes for Outback that focus on maximising flavour for the home cook using lots of spices, fresh herbs and BBQ techniques.