Hot Dogs with Pimento Queso Sauce
Serves Make enough queso for around 20 hot dogs
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Coriander, to garnish (optional) Ketchup (optional)
1⁄2 red pepper, finely diced
1⁄2 onion, peeled and finely diced
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp pickled jalapenos, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed or grated 1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
350g cheddar cheese, grated
50g cream cheese
1 tbsp plain flour
SHARE THIS RECIPE
This easy, spicy cheese sauce is excellent served as a dip with tortilla chips, so bear that in mind if you have lots leftover! This easy, spicy cheese sauce is excellent served as a dip with tortilla chips, so bear that in mind if you have lots leftover!
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion and pepper. Cook until soft but not coloured, stirring often - around 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and smoked paprika and continue cooking for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the jalapenos, cream cheese and milk and continue to cook over low-medium heat until smooth.
4. Combine the grated cheddar with the flour and mix well. Gradually add the cheese to the sauce, over low heat, whisking until smooth (don’t be tempted to turn up the heat as it can make the sauce grainy). The sauce is ready when it’s smooth and thickened, with no taste of flour.
5. Stir in the mustard then set aside, covered, to stop a skin forming.
6. Light 2 of the gas burners on the Jupiter Outback BBQ and set the heat to high.
7. Pat the hot dogs dry and place them on the grill to heat through, turning occasionally - around 15 minutes.
8. Assemble the hot dogs by placing the sausages in the buns and topping with plenty of queso sauce, ketchup and/or coriander (if using).
About the recipe author
Helen Graves The Author
Helen Graves is an award-winning recipe, food and travel writer with a particular interest in barbecue. She writes freelance for many major food and drink publications and is editor of Pit, the UK's first independent magazine about live-fire cooking. Helen has created a series of exclusive recipes for Outback that focus on maximising flavour for the home cook using lots of spices, fresh herbs and BBQ techniques.